Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns

This book is a must read for all women in the U.S.! A friend of mine loaned it to me a few months ago and I have finally had some time to read it. It is a fictional account about two women in Afghanistan spanning the last thirty or so years, written by the author of The Kite Runner. While it is fictitious, I believe it gives an accurate account of what women endured there under the different government factions, including the Taliban. At one point I put my head in my hands and bawled. I cried for the character in the book, I cried for women who had to endure similar fates, I cried because I have been blessed to live in this country of freedom and choice, and I cried for those who are sacrificing right now to maintain our freedoms, both those heroes who are overseas and those who stay home waiting for them to return. I loved it and encourage you all to read it! Let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Elena said...

I have heard wonders about this book and have been wanting to read it. It's on my list which just seems to keep growing and growing. I actually just finished Bin Laden's sister-in-law's book and Betty Mahmoody's sequel to Not
Without My Daughter. I am sure they are very similar in their accounts of life over there. We are a very blessed people her in the US.

Jessica said...

I'll look it to this one, I still need to finish the Twilight series. I'm so happy to see you blogged! Hope all is well with you guys!

Deidra Smith said...

Sounds like one I'll have to try. Having family over there kind of puts things in perspective for you even more, huh? I remember when my brother-in-law was over in iraq it just made me think a little bit more about my blessings.