Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas time in Bakersfield

Christmas time is a little different in Bakersfield. We thought that we would show a few of the things that make Christmas time here unique.

The lemons are ripe and ready to eat. This is in our backyard and Quin is in heaven! He has always wanted to live in a place where lemons grow. When we moved in, he went and bought a little lemon tree, but was sad because he wouldn't get any lemons for a few years. Then we found this growing and realized it was a sweet lemon tree. It is now his baby, he checks on it all the time.

Oranges are also really common around here. We have a miniature orange tree in the back yard (Quin bought it at the same time he bought the lemon tree), but it won't give oranges for another few years. These oranges are the best I have ever had, they are a million times better than the ones in the store, we like to go buy a box every year about this time.

I am dreaming of a white Christmas, but this is as close as it usually gets to snow around here. Fog delays are really common. From inside our house, we couldn't even see our neighbors house.

We turned on the Christmas music and decorated our little tree. We put it on a stool so it could be seen from the window (it is a bit vertically challenged). I grabbed some sheer white fabric and wrapped it around the base for our tree skirt.



We didn't have a star or an angel to go on the top of the tree, so we improvised and Quin grabbed two bows and stuck them to the top of the tree and it works nicely!

Quin decorated the outside with lights, it was so exciting! This is our first Christmas that we get to decorate outside!
To finish it off, when I wasn't looking, Quin hung some stockings by the chimney with care. And when I say stockings I mean old socks and when I say care I mean he draped them over some old nails that happened to be in the mantle. But I think it adds that special finishing touch.

3 comments:

Elena said...

I'm so jealous that you have lights on the outside of your house. This house is just a little to steep to do any. Bummer. Will you bring me a box of oranges when you come? I'll totally pay you for it. Love those things!

Deidra Smith said...

Lol! Love the stockings. And I'm jealous of the lights too. We have yet to do lights on the outside of our house. I did at least get a grown-up tree this year. yay!!!

Jessica said...

Holy Moley your hair is long! I love your little Christmas decorations, I wish I could get Mike to decorate the outside of our house with lights!