Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Women's Conference 2009

Well I just got back from Women's Conference at BYU last night. A few of my friends and I drove up last Wednesday and went to Women's Conference on Thursday. I went with my mom again this year and we spent Thursday morning tying a blanket stitch around fleece baby blankets and listening to some awesome speakers. Afterword we had some lunch and walked through the museum of art on campus. We saw some really great pieces. There was also a modern art exhibit. I took this from the BYU website.


Yes, that is a stack of chairs. When my mom and I walked in there we thought we had walked into a place where they were storing chairs. It wasn't until later that I saw a plaque describing the medium. There were other "pieces of art" with similarly questionable origins. I don't like modern art. Even after studying art in college I can appreciate other forms of art that I don't like but cannot appreciate modern art. I think it is a waste of time and money and that modern artists sit there and say "I wonder how crazy I can get and still have people think I am serious."

Anyway off that soap box, that evening my mom and I spent a few hours tying fleece blankets and assembling newborn kits. It was such a great way to spend a few hours. I loved it and think that it was my favorite part of the conference. That night was a wonderful concert with performances by some wonderful musicians.

I didn't as usual take any pictures but that wouldn't have mattered because the one thing I left in Utah was the camera.

The next morning my mom and I were too exhausted to go to the conference. She was coming down with something and I was pretty tired because of Stitch. My mom slept most of the day on the couch and I hung out with Amanda and played with Evelyn.

I spent the next few days with my family and seeing some friends. My dad is recovering nicely and should be able to go back to work soon. Quin's parents even drove down from Idaho Falls (an almost 3 hour drive) and stayed a couple of hours. It was so good to see them! I love going up but hate to be without Quin! I miss Utah and all of our friends and family. So as soon as we are done with whatever we are supposed to do here in Bakersfield, hopefully we can head back up there!

3 comments:

Quin's mom said...

Good to see you got home safely. I've been thinking about you. I'm glad we were able to see you even if it was a short visit. We enjoyed your mom and dad too.

Deidra Smith said...

Glad your trip went well and you were able to enjoy visiting family. Sounds fun.

Tonya said...

Wow now the next time I clean up chairs in the building, I will look at them a whole new way.

Sounds like a fun trip.