Monday, September 8, 2008

Girl's Camp

So this summer has been totally crazy! and has left little time for blogging, but now that things are calming down a bit I want to try to catch up on our blogs.


The second week of July I headed up to girls camp with the Meadows Ward. We kept going to the Meadows ward for an extra two months just so that I could go to girls camp with my young women. It rained the first couple of days, but it worked out to keep the dust down. I was on a hike with the older girls and got stuck in the rain. At one point it was pouring and lighting and we were all huddled under trees. I kept thinking that was probably not the best place for us to be huddled together, but it turned out all right and it went along well with some of the lessons the leaders had. Quin came up on Friday and stayed the night. The day after we got back they released me and I cried and cried. I am not exactly a nature girl, but it was worth it to get to spend some extra time with my girls.



This was the Tree of Life, I just thought that it was really pretty.

They did this activity to teach us to appreciate the things that we had. We were divided up into groups and assigned to different tarps. Everyone had a different amount of food. Some people had a lot of food. Some people had only a tiny cup of rice and almost no water. This was to represent the different amounts of food that people around the world have. Only one group had enough food to satisfy them, the rest did not have enough to meet their needs.


Our group was the group that had plenty of food. We were the only group of all the groups that had plenty of food to meet our needs.

I think the girls were amazed at how little some people have to eat. It is something that we all take for granted.


There is a tradition when the fourth year girls come in from their hike, everyone makes posters and welcomes them home.

Byron McArthur told us a great story about a giant, talking gorilla. I am sure it was true.


The younger girls of the Meadows ward and the leaders. The older girls were off doing their activities. I missed them, but it was fun to get to know the younger girls.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so neat that you enjoy working with the girls.