Saturday, February 2, 2008

Happy Groundhog Day

Well today is February 2nd. That means it is Groundhog Day, my dad's favorite holiday. I am not really sure why, I think it is because it means winter is almost over and you don't really do anything for it.
It is tradition is that if a hybernating animal sees it's shadow on Candlemas (the catholic holiday of candles) there are 6 more weeks of winter. If it does not see it's shadow then it means it will be a short winter. How much shorter is not revealed. The tourism department in Punxsutawney, Penn. decided that they need a reason to have people come to their town and spend money. So they decided that they would have the "Official" groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil. Every year they pull the poor sleeping animal from it's warm bed in to the frigid air so we can know how much winter is left. We have mastered space flight, but we rely on a large rodent to tell us what a calendar could.

(Poor Phil)

What ever the reason, I love holidays and I love my dad so I have been helping him celebrate. I wrote him this song and called him up and sang it to him.


It is Groundhog Day, shout hurray!
I'd like to sing to you today,
Springs around the corner and summer too.
Happy Groundhog Day to you!

6 comments:

Deidra Smith said...

Very cute, you and Liberty could get together and have a song for everything! lol

Elena said...

Don't forget Alyssa in that sing-a-thon! That was fun. By the way, did the ground hog see his shadow or not?

Natalie and Quin said...

This year Phil saw his shadow, so it looks like we will have 6 more weeks of winter.

Elena said...

Oh bummer, although no surprise there. I am beginning to wonder if we'll see spring any time before June around here. The snow is SO deep its crazy!

Anonymous said...

I never heard anything about Phil either. Cute song, Natalie!

Anonymous said...

You are the best kid. Love you, Dad.